Have you ever felt sunk low? Have you ever felt like your feet are stuck in the muck and mire of life? Have you felt like there was no escape from the yuck of life?
I’ve been there, friends. Years ago, I suffered a bout of severe depression. I know what’s it’s like to be brought low. And the last couple weeks have just been emotionally draining and hard.
Because of that depression I have learned to recognize some really negative, wrong, thinking patterns. I’ve also learned how to combat them. It’s not easy and it is a true battle, but it is doable. And it’s so fruitful and rewarding when you are victorious over it!
I’ve really had to employ these tools lately and I think they are worth sharing! I hope they bless you as they’ve blessed me.
1. Surround yourself with Scripture! Read God’s Word and then read it again. And then read it again. Write it on post its and stick them all over your house. On the cabinets, on your bathroom mirror, on your steering wheel in your car. And the read His Word again.
2. Listen to Worship music. Put together a Playlist of songs that only praise Jesus. Pick songs that put your heart’s focus on Him and Him alone. Play it in every room and in your car. Let it fill the air around you.
3. Pray. Pray. Pray. Pray for your hurt to be laid down at the cross. Pray Jesus helps you take up His yoke and His burden. Pray for the sin in your own heart to be revealed and repented of. Pray for those who hurt you (that’s a hard one!). And Praise! Praising Him no matter your circumstances is crucial!
4. Focus on the future. His mercies are new every morning and His promise to bless you if you obey never fails. Trust He is working all things for your good and His glory.
5. Obey Him. What’s He telling you to do in spite of your emotions and feelings? How does He want you to act, react, and respond no matter how hurt you feel? This one is so hard. But Jesus says, “if you love me, you will obey me.”
Ah, putting it all in a simple little list of five items seems to make it easy. Let me tell you, it’s not. It’s probably the hardest battle I’ve ever fought in my life. Winning over your negative thoughts feels and seems impossible. And, actually it is without the Holy Spirit! But it’s a fight worth fighting. Your mental, emotional and even physical health depend on it!
You can take every thought captive! And the fruit of God’s work in your heart is so so good!!